The Best E-Bike Conversion Kits Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1 The Best E-Bike Conversion Kits Reviews & Buying Guide
- 1.1 Our Favourite E-Bike Conversion Kit! - BAFANG Electric Bike Conversion Kit (Editor's Pick)
- 1.1.1 BAFANG Mid Drive Kit Electric Bike Conversion Kit 50.4V 250W M225 Mid Motor Kit with 14.5Ah Battery, Headlight Taillight, eBike Bicycle DIY Converter for Men Women, Upgrade Powerful Central Engine
- 1.1.2 BAFANG Mid Drive Kit Electric Bike Conversion Kit 50.4V 250W M225 Mid Motor Kit with 14.5Ah Battery, Headlight Taillight, eBike Bicycle DIY Converter for Men Women, Upgrade Powerful Central Engine
- 1.1.3 Conclusion
- 1.1.4 BAFANG Mid Drive Kit Electric Bike Conversion Kit 50.4V 250W M225 Mid Motor Kit with 14.5Ah Battery, Headlight Taillight, eBike Bicycle DIY Converter for Men Women, Upgrade Powerful Central Engine
- 1.1.5 Pros
- 1.1.6 BAFANG Mid Drive Kit Electric Bike Conversion Kit 50.4V 250W M225 Mid Motor Kit with 14.5Ah Battery, Headlight Taillight, eBike Bicycle DIY Converter for Men Women, Upgrade Powerful Central Engine
- 1.1.7 Our Affordable Option - The Viribus 48V 1000W 26" Electric Bikes Conversion Kit
- 1.1.8 Viribus 48V 1000W 26" Electric Bikes Conversion Kit Rear Wheel E-Bike Conversion Kit Hub Motor Electric Bike Wheel Conversion Kit
- 1.1.9 Viribus 48V 1000W 26" Electric Bikes Conversion Kit Rear Wheel E-Bike Conversion Kit Hub Motor Electric Bike Wheel Conversion Kit
- 1.1.10 Viribus 48V 1000W 26" Electric Bikes Conversion Kit Rear Wheel E-Bike Conversion Kit Hub Motor Electric Bike Wheel Conversion Kit
- 1.1.11 Viribus 48V 1000W 26" Electric Bikes Conversion Kit Rear Wheel E-Bike Conversion Kit Hub Motor Electric Bike Wheel Conversion Kit
- 1.1.12 Bafang BBS01B 36V 250W Mid Drive Electric Bike Kit
- 1.1.13 Bafang BBS01B 36V 250W Mid Drive Electric Bike Motor Ebike Conversion Kit Mid Motor for Mountain Bike Road Bike C965-46T 19.2ah
- 1.1.14 Bafang BBS01B 36V 250W Mid Drive Electric Bike Motor Ebike Conversion Kit Mid Motor for Mountain Bike Road Bike C965-46T 19.2ah
- 1.1.15 Bafang BBS01B 36V 250W Mid Drive Electric Bike Motor Ebike Conversion Kit Mid Motor for Mountain Bike Road Bike C965-46T 19.2ah
- 1.2 Which Is The Best Electric Bike Conversion Kit With Battery?
- 1.3 What To Look For In The Best Electric Bike Conversion Kit (Our Buying Guide)
- 1.4 What Types Of E-Bike Conversion Kits Are There?
- 1.5 Are E-Bike Conversion Kits Worth It?
- 1.6 What Influences The Power Of Your Electric Bike Conversion Kit?
- 1.7 What Battery Power Do I Need In My Conversion Kit?
- 1.8 Other Features To Consider In Your E-Bike Conversion Kit
- 1.9 Frequently Asked Questions About Electric Bike Conversion Kits
- 1.10 Our #1 Electric Bike Conversion Kit With Battery For Creating Your Dream E-Bike
- ✔All You Need eBike Converter- BAFANG Latest model M225 M325 M625 250W/500W/750W/1000W mid drive motor kit with 19.6Ah battery, DPC181 display, headlight, taillight, speed sensor, etc. All necessary mounting accessories are included. Please see the packing list image. Please kindly note that brake levers can be changed to brake sensor if you email me about your requirement. BB length 68mm and 100mm for your choice.
- ✔Compatible with Varieties - We recommend this ebike conversion kit fit on most of ≥ 27.5inch bicycle. Please check the battery dimension whether compatible with your bike frame. Please ONLY use the original BAFANG kit. Doesn’t compatible with other batteries, engines, and displays as a result of different protocols.
- ✔Easy to Assemble - Easiest DIY electric bike conversion kit. Easy turn your bicycle into an electric bike. Easy to mounted in the bottom bracket frame. Silent motor so you can hear just the wind when driving. Providing suitable power.
- ✔Integrated Powerful and Safe Motor - Speed-sensored central motor with slow startup provides more smoother and fabulous cycling experience. Solid construction motor with integrated hidden controller. High performance in climbing and loading. Can aid you up steep inclines and help you cover ground faster.
- ✔Fabulous Gift for Families and Friends - DIY electric bike conversion kit for men and women. New driving, more savings. Less energy exercise bike but for fun. A win win exercise that seeing the outside world and enjoying your commute to work, save your fuel cost and car parking fee. Zero-emissions.
- ✔Fast Delivery - Ship within 1-3 days ordinarily after ordered from UK/EU warehouse, deliver to most of address in 1-5 business days.
- ✔Warranty & Guarantee - Motor warranty 12 month, accessories warranty 30 days. All guaranteed except physical damage and wrong operation. 24 hours after sale customer service. Please feel free to email me if you have any problems, I am always online to support you.
- Shipped by a way that the DDP(Delivered Duty Paid) service is included, usually 12-20 days deliver to most of EU address(Except islands). 1 year warranty and provide technical support.（Water proof - all components and wiring are protected）
- Comes with all necessary accessories:Mid-drive motor,brake lever,thumb throttle,chainring wheel,crank,LCD display,speed sensor and magnets,1T4 wire,nuts
- Universal Compatible:Bafang BBS02B/BBHD Mid drive motor kit is compatiable with commuter bike,mountain bike,road bike and so on. This kit is designed to all bikes with 68-73mm bottom bracket. NOT recommended to apply this motor to bikes with carbon fiber frame in case of damaging the frame.
- Easy to install: Can be successfully installed into an electric bicycle in just a few time by only a few tools which can remove the crankset and the center shaft, as well as tools for installing this mid-drive motor.
- Electric bikes & pedal bicycle, faster traffic & physical exercise can be achieved at the same time. A not bad choice for cycling enthusiasts and those who do not want too fast traffic to transport or travel.
- POWERFUL HUB MOTOR: 26" 48V 1000W super power brushless gearless hub motor, Restricted to 1000W and 25k/h by default as a road-legal kit
- UPGRADED SAFETY DESIGN: we added a fuse to the power cord,fuse available to ensure motor is protected all the time
- PREMIUM MATERIALS :Nylon tyre & alloy rim & stainless steel spoke, Rare-earth metal magnates are used in the motor to efficiently produce large power
- EASY TO INSTALL : pre drilled disc holes available for you to install disc brakes (But Disc Brake is NOT included) .You can easily convert your bicycle to an e-Bike. Kits are ready to install with aluminum double walled rim and hub motor already attached. All you need to do is to transfer original tire
- PACKAGE INCLUDED: Comes with all necessary parts including 1 rear wheel, 1 motor, 2 brake pullers, 1 electric controller, 1 thumb throttle etc
If you are longing for an electric bike, but don't want to say goodbye to your original bike yet, why not try an e-bike conversion kit?
These conversion kits allow you to transform your bike into an electric one, containing all the important parts such as the motor, battery, controller and more.
Finding the right e-bike conversion kit isn't always easy, however, you need to make sure the electric motor is of the right quality and power, plus consider if the e-bike kits are for mountain bikes or commuter bikes.
We've done the hard work for you and rounded up our top three best electric bike conversion kits below to help you find the right one for your e-bike conversion.
Our Favourite E-Bike Conversion Kit! - BAFANG Electric Bike Conversion Kit (Editor's Pick)
[amazon box="B097D3J8NF" ]
BAFANG is very well known in the e-bike industry for creating reliable e-bike motor technology, this e-bike conversion kit in particular comes in three different 50.4A basic motors wattages; 1000W, 750W and 500W.
Main features of the electric bike conversion kit are its 19.6Ah battery which comes with its 4A charger and is removable. The easy to use bike conversion kit fits most 27.5-inch bikes and is compatible with most 100mm and 60mm bottom bracket bikes, a 46T chainring crankset is provided.
For the display, this electric bike conversion kit is equipped with a DPC181 display which shows all your important metrics and has Bluetooth as well as a USB charging port. Essential accessories are included with the kit such as; a thumb throttle for an electric boost, rear lights, headlights and a speed sensor.
Overall, this BAFANG electric bike conversion kit is an excellent choice for converting regular bikes, equipped with a powerful battery pack, high motor power options and a wide range of accessories, making it a good value for money.
We also rate this conversion kit highly due to the one year warranty on its motor, increasing buyers' confidence.
- Great battery capacity.
- Fits 100mm and 60mm bottom brackets.
- Easy to fit.
- Accessories provided such as tail and headlights.
- Thumb throttle.
- LCD with Bluetooth and charging port.
- Three different motor options; 1000W, 750W and 500W.
Our Affordable Option - The Viribus 48V 1000W 26" Electric Bikes Conversion Kit
If you are looking for a more affordable e-bike conversion kit, this kit from Viribus could be a good choice, featuring the option for a front or rear hub wheel motor and coming with a 1000W power.
Top specs of this conversion kit are its dual control system which allows you to control the bike and ride it even when its signal is disabled. The kit can be easily slotted onto a 26-inch rear wheel and reaches max speeds of 48 km/h or 25 km/h when the PAS speed limit is set.
Other accessories included with the Viribus kit are its twist throttle, two brake pullers and PAS sensor. The battery is not included with the kit, but you need to ensure it's paired with a 48V battery.
To conclude, if you're looking to make your e-bike with high enough power to get up steep hills and difficult road terrains, this 1000W conversion kit could be an excellent pick when paired with large battery size.
The conversion kit is also very simple to fit and affordable.
Downfalls of this Viribus conversion kit are its heavyweight of around 12kg, which is something to consider if you want to keep your bike lightweight.
- Affordable price.
- 1000W brushless motor.
- Fits a 26-inch rear wheel.
- Easy to install.
- Max speed of up to 48 km/h with speed limit available.
- Brake pullers included.
- Dual controller.
Bafang BBS01B 36V 250W Mid Drive Electric Bike Kit
Mid-drive conversion kit models are often very popular since a mid-drive motor gives the most natural feel to your bike. This Bafang kit in particular features a 250W road legal motor and comes with a 36V 15.6Ah battery.
The Bafang battery has its charger and a built-in IC chip which prevents the battery from overheating, giving it a charging life cycle of over 1000 times. Max torque of the kit is 80Nm and an optional LCD can be attached.
Extras included with the Bafang kit are its thumb throttle, pair of cranks, speed sensors, brake levers, chain wheel, lock nuts and a mounting wrench for easier installation. A one year warranty is included for the buyer's confidence.
Overall, this Bafang mid-drive conversion kit is not only affordable but also easy to fit and gives a natural feel of electric assistance thanks to the mid-drive position of the motor.
This electric bike conversion kit is also a good choice due to the number of spare parts for Bafang motors and parts available, allowing you to maintain your new e-bike with ease.
Some notable downfalls of the Bafang kit are its charger which is said to get very hot during use, and the range of the battery may also lower over time.
- Large capacity 15.6Ah battery.
- 250W motor power.
- 80 Nm torque.
- LCD included optionally.
- Accessories such as throttle and cranks.
- One year warranty.
- Charger can get very hot.
- Range of the battery might lower over time.
Which Is The Best Electric Bike Conversion Kit With Battery?
To conclude our reviews of the top three electric bike conversion kits, our favourite easy to install kit has to be the BAFANG Electric Bike Conversion Kit.
This e-bike conversion kit has the best range of motor options and has a very large battery capacity, allowing you to ride the long-range with no issues. The quality of the accessories included with this kit is also great value for money, with the LCD even having Bluetooth connectivity.
As a runner up, we also suggest checking out the Viribus 48V 1000W 26" Electric Bikes Conversion Kit, this model is more affordable with a great range of accessories and a powerful motor for its price, but it does not include its battery, there is an option to include the 48V battery separate, however.
What To Look For In The Best Electric Bike Conversion Kit (Our Buying Guide)
After reviewing our top three e-bike conversion kits, we can now move on to learning more about these conversion kits and what should be looking for in the best kit.
Down below in our buying guide, we will cover the different types of e-bike conversion kits out there, what influences the power of your conversion kit, what battery you need for your conversion kit, other features to watch out for and more.
What Types Of E-Bike Conversion Kits Are There?
On your hunt for the best e-bike conversion kit with a battery, you've probably realised that these kits come in three different types; front hub, mid-drive and rear hub kits.
These relate to the motor position and where it will be installed on the bike.
We've gone into more detail about the different types of kits below.
Wheel Hub Conversion Kits
These kits are the easiest type to install, front-wheel kits are especially easy to install and give the feeling as if you are being pulled along by the motor, this is why they are often the cheapest too.
Rear hub wheel conversion kits are much more desirable than front-wheel kits, although a little harder to install, these give motor assistance directly to the rear wheel when you pedal, giving a more natural and boosted feel.
Mid-Drive Conversion Kits
Mid-drive conversion kits are often more expensive than wheel hub conversion kits and are harder to install, but they do produce the best performing electric bike.
These motors will be attached directly to the drivetrain of the bike, allowing the motor to work with the pedalling of your bike giving you the quickest response of assistance.
The only drawback of these conversion kits is that they can wear down the drivetrain of your bike quickly.
Are E-Bike Conversion Kits Worth It?
Before investing in a conversion kit for your bike, you might be torn between just buying a whole new e-bike, or spending the time converting your own.
Some e-bike conversion kits with high power can even cost a similar price to an affordable e-bike, so what makes these conversion kits worth it?
Advantages Of An E-Bike Conversion Kit
- You can keep your bike - Perhaps the best part about choosing to convert your bike rather than buying a new one is that you get to keep your old bike, conversion kits are also pretty easy to remove if you ever want to change your bike back.
- It's customisable - Whether you want an extra high powered motor or long-range battery, electric bike conversion kits are customisable to your specific needs rather than buying a pre-set electric bike.
- Saves you money - Not always but an electric conversion bike kit can save you money rather than buying a whole new bike frame.
Disadvantages Of An E-Bike Conversion Kit
- Added weight - By installing a conversion kit on your bike you will add a large amount of weight to your bike.
- Installation takes time - Installation of a conversion kit takes a lot of time and some previous knowledge of electric bikes.
- They can look messy - Conversion kits never look as seamless as e-bikes from the shop no matter how well you try to hide the wires.
What Influences The Power Of Your Electric Bike Conversion Kit?
When choosing the power you need in your conversion kit, you need to consider three different factors; the watts, volts and amp-hours, these all determine how powerful your bike will be.
We've gone into further detail down below.
This measures the power input and output of your electric bike motor, when choosing your e-bikes motor you need to consider the continuous watt rating and peak watt rating. To work out wattage, you can get this calculation by multiplying the amps and volts together.
Volts measure the amount of energy which comes from the battery in your electric bike to the motor and how well the bike responds. The higher the volts the speedier the motor typically.
The Amp Hours
This determines the amount of energy that your battery can hold, the higher the amps then the more power it can hold and the further your e-bike will be able to go. The bigger the amps and voltage the faster your e-bike will be able to accelerate.
What Battery Power Do I Need In My Conversion Kit?
Choosing the right battery power is one of the most important parts of your conversion kit, avoid budget batteries at all costs in conversion kits, otherwise, these will ruin the quality of your e-bike.
To choose the right voltage for your battery, you must make sure it's matched to the motor voltage in your e-bike, too high could even start a fire. Picking a matching voltage or within the higher end will ensure your bike performs fast.
The higher the amps of your battery then the more current it will have, therefore the more torque the e-bike will have. Always take the estimated range of e-bike batteries with a pinch of salt, many factors affect the watt-hours of a battery such as the terrain and weight.
Other Features To Consider In Your E-Bike Conversion Kit
Now we covered the main types of e-bikes conversion kits, the pros and cons and how to choose your battery, let's move on to some additional features which you should be considering in your conversion kit.
- Power - As we mentioned above, checking the motor type and motor power of your kit is important since it determines what you'll be able to use the bike for. For commuting, a 250W motor with let us say 40 newtons of torque is sufficient, but for mountain biking with inclines, you need something stronger.
- Sensor - In an e-bike conversion kit, you will either find cadence sensor types or torque sensors. Cadence sensors will be able to sense how fast the pedals are going and apply for proportional assistance while torque sensors give power according to the force applied to the bike, making it feel more natural, out of the two, torque sensor types are more desirable.
- Compatibility - Always check if your conversion kit will fit your e-bike before committing, make sure the dropouts of your bike will be able to fit the motor and the bottom brackets for mid-drive motors are compatible with the bike's cassette.
- Accessories - Many of the best conversion kits come with accessories such as an LCD and cranks, some might even include tail lights, make sure your kit is good value for money.
- Weight - Be cautious that e-bike conversion kits add a lot of weight to your bike, always check the total weight your kit will add before purchasing, the bigger the battery and motor, then the heavier the weight.
- Warranty - Always ensure that your e-bike conversion kit has some kind of warranty on its parts, especially on the motor and battery, as these are the most expensive parts of conversion kits.
Frequently Asked Questions About Electric Bike Conversion Kits
How much do electric bike conversion kits with battery costs?
This depends on the power of the battery combination with the motor as well as the type of motor, whether rear wheel kits or mid-drive kits.
Can you turn any kind of bike into an e-bike?
You can convert any bike into an electric one, but your current bike should be strong enough to handle the weight and power of the motor, preferably a bike with steel dropouts is better for conversion.
What type of brakes should I put on my electric bike?
When converting your conventional bike into an e-bike it's best if you equip it with either double disc brakes or hydraulic disc brakes rather than standard rim brakes.
Our #1 Electric Bike Conversion Kit With Battery For Creating Your Dream E-Bike
Our number one electric bike conversion kit is the BAFANG Electric Bike Conversion Kit, this kit has a wide range of motor options, and is a reliable fit for bikes with a 27.5-inch wheel, making it great for mountain bikers.
We also recommend the more affordable Viribus 48V 1000W 26" Electric Bikes Conversion Kit which still comes with an excellent bit of power and accessories, do be aware you need to buy the battery separate from this model, however.