5 Best Folding Ebike Buying Guide & Reviews
If your a commuter and your tired of dragging your bike around or you’re looking for a compact bike that can save storage space, folding electric bikes are the answer.
Everyone knows electric bikes can halve your commuting time and allow you to expend less energy when riding, but, folding electric bikes, on the other hand, will enable you to also save space on top of this due to their folding mechanism that can fit into a small bag.
As folding ebike models are getting more popular, there are many different folding e-bikes to choose from in the market, differing in their folding mechanism, battery, power and gearing.
We have rounded up the top folding electric bikes below and compared them to help you find the best folding electric bike for you.
Our Top Folding E-Bike Pick! –
The ANCHEER Folding Electric Bike (Editor’s Choice)
This Ancheer branded bike, in particular, is an excellent choice for people who are looking for a fold-up commuting e-bike on a budget. The model comes with a 250W motor paired with an 8Ah lithium-ion battery, allowing you to reach a range of 30 miles with top speeds of 17mph off a single charge.
Main features of the electric bike are it’s three working modes; e-bike, assisted and normal mode which can be switched with it’s 3-speed smart metre button, you can additionally add speed with its throttle or combine the three modes. The model also has 7 speeds to choose from and uses 20-inch tyres.
The frame of this e-bike is made from lightweight aluminium, joined with its high-suspension front fork and front/rear disc brakes. An LED lamp and horn is additionally included for road use.
To conclude, this Ancheer e-bike is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a commuting bike precisely that can be folded up and took to work, it has a great range and 7-speed options to choose from, its motor is also UK road legal.
Downfalls of this e-bike are its instruction manual which is said to be complicated to use. The throttle is additionally said to be challenging to install on the bike. The e-bike also has a non-adjustable saddle which can become uncomfortable due to lack of adjustability.
- UK legal motor.
- Can give up to 30 miles range.
- Three working modes.
- 7 speeds.
- Fold-up lightweight frame.
- Poorly made instruction manual.
- The throttle is difficult to install.
- Non-adjustable saddle.
Our Tougher Alternative – MARTES Electric Folding Bike Fat Tire
Now, if you want a fold-up e-bicycle that can be used on rougher terrains, it’s worth checking out this e-bike by MARTES. The electric bike comes with a 500W motor that has 60Nm of torque and a 15Ah removable lithium-ion battery.
Feature-wise the electric bike has fat tyres with measurements of 20″ x 4″ along with alloy 20″ rims for all kinds of terrains and can reach up to 45km/h on its pure electric-assisted speed. The e-bike additionally comes with front and rear disc brakes too.
This electric bike’s design has an aluminium frame with a lock-out front fork suspension. There are also Shimano 7-speed professional gears included too along with a throttle for more control over your speed. Folded measurements of this e-bike come in at 89 x 47x 82 cm.
Extra acessories included with this fat tire e-bike are; a phone holder, LED headlights, a horn and an optimised seat for riding long-range. A rear rack is additionally included with the model, and it comes with a one-year warranty for buyers confidence.
This folding fat tyre e-bike from MARTES is a great e-bike to consider if you are looking to get a bike that can fold up but be used on more adventurous terrains too. It’s folding electric bike size is very compact, and it has a powerful motor that can assist you on even the toughest of inclines while riding.
Its large capacity battery can also give you a more extended range.
Downfalls of this folding electric bike have to be its high price and heavyweight, which makes it less portable than other folding electric bikes on our list. The e-bike additionally has been said to have an uncomfortable seat and position.
- Powerful motor with large capacity battery.
- Fat tires allow you to ride the bike on all terrains.
- Shimano 7-speed gear system.
- Lock-out front fork suspension.
- Rear rack included.
- One-year warranty.
- Heavyweight due to fat tires, making it less portable.
- Uncomfortable seat.
WHIRLWIND C4 Electric Bike
The WHIRLWIND folding e-bike features a 250W UK legal motor and is joined with an LG 5.2Ah lithium-ion battery that powers top speeds of 15.5mph. Folded measurements of this e-bike come in at 71 x 40 x 63 cm.
Main specifications of this folding e-bike are it’s three-speed options that allow you to choose the level of assistance you want, it additionally has a charging time of only 3-4 hours. The 16 kg e-bike can also climb at 15 degrees and has endurance mileage of 35 miles.
Design-wise this e-bike features a folding matt black frame with front and rear disc brakes, it also has LCD and LED front lights on the bike. The wheel size of this folding bike is 14-inches.
Overall, this folding bike from WHIRLWIND is one of the best e-bikes on our list thanks to its affordable price and compact folding size which allows you take this e-bike on a train or store it in small spaces like an office.
The e-bike additionally further has UK legal motor power and can produce a decent range from it’s LG lithium-ion battery.
Negatives of this folding bike have to be its wheels which are said to be very small and unsuitable for bumpy terrains. The folding mechanism is also reported to be a little complicated and comes with an unclear instruction manual.
- UK legal 250W motor.
- A great range from the battery.
- Folding mechanism.
- Quick charging time.
- Tiny wheels.
- Folding mechanism can be complicated.
- Unclear instruction manual.
Soulitem Folding Electric Bike
This Soulitem e-bikes model features a 250W motor and uses an 11.6Ah battery which in combination can give max speeds of 25km/h and has a climbing capacity of 35 degrees for incline use.
Significant points of the model are its three working modes; pure electric, electric-assist and manual riding modes; with pure electric mode, you can reach a range of up to 55km and on electric-assist 90km. The electric bike also comes with 14-inch tyres and has a 52-tooth large chain with a 12-tooth flywheel.
Design-wise the e-bikes model can be folded for storage and has double disc brakes. It additionally comes with; a black colour, USB phone holder, LED lights and a display. A one year warranty is included with this bikes model for buyers confidence.
This Soulitem best e-bike is one of the best-powered bikes on our list thanks to its large capacity battery which allows you to ride longer range without needing a re-charge, it’s climbing angle of 35 degrees also makes it great to assist you inclines.
Some downfalls of this e-bikes model are its non-adjustable seat and handlebars, which can make it restricted to individual users.
- Large battery capacity.
- 25km/h top speed.
- UK legal motor.
- 52-tooth large chain with 12-tooth flywheel.
- Three-working modes.
- Non-adjustable seat and handlebars.
TOEU Electric Scooter
If you are looking for a very low-priced yet highly rated folding e-bike, this TOEU e-bike could be for you. The electric scooter comes with a 350W brushless motor and uses a 6Ah lithium-ion battery which can power the scooter to achieve speeds of 25km/h and only takes 6 hours to charge.
Feature-wise the best electric folding scooter comes with a cruise speed control system that allows you to pick the speed of your bike and use rear disc brakes for stopping power. You can tackle inclines of up to 15 degrees with this 15kg model, and it has a foldable mechanism for storage.
Some important design features of this bike are it’s; aluminium frame, LED screen, soft leather seat and a weight capacity of 120kg. The e-bike also has a wheel size of 12-inches and comes in either white or black with a lifetime warranty.
Overall, this TOEU best electric scooter has some excellent features considering its low price. It’s high-powered motor and quick charging time are great for saving you time when travelling; its cruise control also allows you to have more control over your speed.
However, this bike does come with some negatives; for example, the e-bike is reported to be very noisy when working and can’t last for a long-range ride without needing a re-charge. This is probably due to its lower price.
- Affordable electric scooter.
- Top speeds of 25km/h.
- Cruise speed control.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Lightweight and fold-up mechanism for easy commuting.
- Can be noisy.
- Battery can’t be used for long-range riding.
Our Verdict – Which Is The Top Folding E-Bike?
Overall, to conclude, the best folding e-bike on our list has to be the ANCHEER Folding Electric Bike due to its; relilable build, affordable price and easy folding mechanism. This makes the best electric bike perfect for commuting purposes or to save storage space in your home or office.
For a more off-road mountain bicycle, we would suggest the MARTES Electric Folding Bicycle Fat Tire Model because of its high powered motor and compact fold-up design which makes it suitable to take on more challenging terrains.
What To Look For In The Best Folding E-Bike (Buying Guide)
Now we have compared the top models and found our best folding electric bike, its a good idea to familarise yourself with the features you need to be looking for in your best model.
We have put together a small buying guide below with all your questions answered to help you out –
Best Features To Consider In a Folding E-Bike
One of the essential features to consider in a fold-up e-bicycle is the folding mechanism; you want a bike that can fold and unfold quickly, especially if your jumping on the train during your commute to work.
It would help if you additionally considered your bikes motor power, battery capacity, weight and more.
We have listed out the key features below to consider in your new fold-up e-bicycle.
- Fold-up mechanism – As we mentioned above, the fold-up mechanism of you e-bike is critical, you want a bike that you can fold up quickly, you should also consider the total size of your bike once folded, will it be compact enough for you?
- Wheel size – 20-inch wheels and above are the best sizes for durability and speed. However, fold-up bikes do tend to compromise on wheel size, so this is something to watch out for on the model of your bike.
- Motor – The higher your motor power then, the more torque it will offer assistance wise. Nevertheless, the UK legal limit for motor power is 250W, so if you want to be commuting with your bike’s model on UK roads, this is something to consider.
- Motor placement – Motors on these bikes tend to be placed as either a rear hub motor or front hub motor, with a few being mid-drive. Front hub motor models can affect the balance of your bike, so its best to go for a rear hub motor if possible.
- Battery – Battery capacity of your e-bicycle is essential as it will determine the range you can go on your bike. You should also consider if your model’s battery is removable for safety reasons and the charging time too.
- Brakes – The best brakes you can find on a folding e-bikes model are hydraulic disc brakes. Yet, these often come with a high price tag too, standard front and rear disc brakes will often do a good enough job also.
- Gears – A higher amount of gears means more speed options; any gear system from 7-21 is good enough for your bike.
- Weight – Fold-up e-bicycles should be lightweight so as you can carry the bike around easily once folded up.
Benefits Of Using a Folding E-Bicycle
There are some pretty obvious benefits to using a fold-up e-bicycle such as saving space, portability and assistance.
We’ve put together some more benefits you may not have considered below –
- Perfect for commuting – If your commute involves bike riding one part and using public transport the next having a fold-up electric bike is essential as it allows you to fold up your bike and avoid taking up too much space on the train or bus.
- Space-saving – Due to their compact size once folded, you can store your bike at home neatly or even underneath your desk at work.
- Lighter – Carrying your bicycle will not be half as much weight as a regular model thanks to their smaller wheel size.
- More comfortable to transport – Fold-up bikes can be put easily in the back of a car boot or roof rack without taking up a vast amount of space.
- Better to mount – These bikes have a step-through design allowing the bike to be much more accessible than traditional designs which require you top swing your leg over.
As with all electric bikes, fold-up models do come with some disadvantages.
- Tend to have smaller wheels – A fold-up bicycles design has smaller wheels to accommodate their small size, this can be unsuitable for challenging terrains.
- Low speed – As these bicycles focus is portability and size, they tend to have fewer gears and lower-speed options, unlike regular bicycles.
- Less durable design – Due to the way these bikes are built, they tend to have less durability and fewer spare parts than regular e-bikes.
- Can’t carry as much weight – In terms of load weight folding bicycles can only take around 120kg in comparison to a standard 150kg, they also may be able to take less load on their rear racks.
Will a smaller wheel size affect my bike’s performance?
Yes, it’s best to look for a bigger wheel size around 20-inch, alot of fold-up models will reduce the size of their wheels to take off weight and enable them to fold-up better, this can make riding your small-wheeled bike on bumpy terrain very uncomfortable.
How much do folding e-bikes typically cost?
This depends on the brand, size and features that come with it. For these kinds of bikes, they can cost anything from £200-£1000 and above.
Why should I choose a fold-up bike instead of a regular bike?
If you are looking for a lightweight bike that’s easy to carry, store and commute with, you should choose a fold-up bike. For long-distance riding, however, it’s best to go with a larger bicycle that has a bigger wheel size too.
Can I ride my bikes model in the rain?
Yes, generally most components on an electric bike are waterproof, although it’s worth waterproofing your rear rack with a cover if your carrying bags or cargo.
How long does a folding bike take to un-fold?
The process of unfolding your bike’s model shouldn’t take any more than a minute- 30 seconds.
What’s the difference between a front hub motor and a rear hub motor?
Both motors function the same way but are placed differently. Rear hub motors tend to be much better for acceleration and to give an overall smoother ride, front hub motors, on the other hand, can help spread weight forward, especially if your battery is near the rear end of your bike.
What kind of range can I ride with one of these bikes?
A typical electric bike can run for a range of around 50km -60km off a single charge; this does depend on your model’s battery capacity though.
Can I ride an electric bike normally?
Yes, nearly every electric bicycle will have the option to use their bike with no electrical assistance, this can be great if you want to get more of a workout in and only use the assistance/battery when you need it.
What is PAS?
PAS stands for pedal-assist sensors; these are the sensors on your e-bicycle which are activated when you increase speed, they help deliver more power from the motor when riding.
Our #1 Best Folding E-Bike Model For Commuting & Saving Space
Our number one fold-up electric bicycle is the ANCHEER Folding Electric Bike thanks to the affordable price, small dimensions when folded and UK legal road motor.
The Ancheer model is a perfect road commuting bicycle and boasts a variety of modes and speeds to choose from for a more comfortable commute.
We also suggested the MARTES Electric Folding Bike Fat Tire Model as an alternative. This bicycle can handle different terrains and has a high powered motor. However, you should bear in mind this bicycle has fat tires which add to the overall weight of the bike and make it less portable.